Please note: While some information will still be current in a year, other information may already be out of date in three months time. If you are in any doubt, please feel free to ask.

Information on health professionals involved in CF

I am researching CF and am wondering if i were a patient which types of health professionals would i come into contact with
Hello and thank you for your question. Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a common and life threatening disease which requires a holistic approach. It is generally agreed that the best care for CF patients is provided by a team of trained experienced health professionals in a Specialist CF Centre. A patient should expect to routinely come into contact with the following health care professionals:
• Paediatrician or adult physician
• Clinical nurse specialist
• Physiotherapist
• Dietician
• Social worker
• Psychologist
• Pharmacist if/ when collecting prescriptions
• Play therapist (paediatric only)

Cystic Fibrosis is a multi-system disease and as such patients will additionally have access to a range of specialities to manage CF related complications. These health care professionals include:
• Microbiologist (specialises in bacteria)
• Radiologist (for bone scans and CT scans)
• Endocrinologist (specialises in hormone imbalances)
• Fertility and family planning counsellor
• Gastroenterologist (specialises in problems with the digestive system)
• General surgery practitioners
• Heptologist (specialises in the liver)
• Nephrologist (specialises in the kidneys)
• Obstetrics and gynaecologist (specialises in women’s health)
• Ophthalmologist (specialises in the eyes)
• Rheumatologist (specialises in joints)
• Vascular surgeons (with expertise in implanting devices which access veins)

Should you require further information I would recommend the reference below.

Best wishes,
Judy Bradley

Cystic Fibrosis Trust (2001). Standards of Care. Standards for the Clinical care of Children and Adults with Cystic Fibrosis in the UK.
The answer is edited by: Prof Judy Bradley