User login

Enter your username and password here in order to log in on the website:

Forgot your password?

Please note: While some information will still be current in a year, other information may already be out of date in three months time. If you are in any doubt, please feel free to ask.

Edible mould on salami

Often one can find on Italian or French salami a powdered coating with edible mould on the outer skin. Is this kind of mould dangerous for CF patients?
Many thanks and best regards,
Dear S.O.,
edible mould is put on cheese or salami for the following reasons:
on the on hand, one wants to prohibit a non-wanted connection between the food and other microorganisms, i.a. dangerous mould fungi, therefore for conservational reasons and on the other hand specific flavours occur, therefore to have an enoblement of the product.
The today used edible mould fungi are a pure cultivated form, therefore they do not produce fungal toxins (so-called mycotoxins). In the literature there are no reports about respiratory infections or allergic reactions due to the both most used Penicillium strains.
In summary, these edible mould fungi do not represent a danger for CF patients.
Best regards,
Jörg Steinmann